Operator: IPEV - French Polar InstitutePaul-Emile Victor
Vessel Type: Multipurpose Research Vessel
Vessel Class: Global
Operational Area under the calls: Sub-Antarctic (no ice cover)
Number of Days Offered under the calls: 6
Endurance: 60 days max
Scientist berths: 60
RV Marion Dufresne is a vessel serving two purposes:
- As a supply and logistic vessel for the French sub-Antarctic islands for 120 days a year (4*30) - During this time the vessel is operated by TAAF and, not available to EUROFLEETS;
- As an oceanographic research platform on the world’s oceans for 217 days a year – During this time the vessel is operated by IPEV and available to EUROFLEETS.
The vessel is designed to navigate in southern seas. It is able to supply all types of oceanographic missions: marine geosciences, biological oceanography, physics and chemistry of the oceans. RV Marion Dufresne has a unique, unobstructed starboard main deck that allows the deployment and recovery of IPEV’s “Calypso” corer. That piston-coring system, driven by a up to 10-tonne weight stand, has obtained sediment cores as long as 64,5 m.
Onboard scientific equipment:
Multi-beam echo sounder TSM 5265 (SF11 rev 2);
Sea Bottom Profiler 3.5 kHz coupled with MBES;
Magnetometer Geometrics G886;
Gravimeter Lacost et Rombeerg S77;
ADCP: 2 * RDI : 75 kHz and 150 kHz;
CTD profiler and rosette sampler 24 bottles;
Dynamic Positioning System.
Mobile scientific equipment on request:
CASQ corer (gravity 50*50cm square section); box core; plankton nets; rock dredges; mobile winch.
French national equipment, please visit http://www.ifremer.fr/flotte/equipements_sc/eq/sismique/sismique.htm (Not offered within EUROFLEETS2)
Availability for EUROFLEETS2:
Modality of access under this proposal:
PIs applying for the RV Marion Dufresne must contact the
EUROFLEETS2 Evaluation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to drafting a proposal to enquire about its availability.
The RV schedule as of September 2014 is:
- 2015 - not available
- 2016 May to July: between Réunion island (Indian Ocean) and: 1) either Atlantic SW (Brazil); 2) or Indonesia
- 2016 Sept - Oct: Southern Indian Ocean - to be confirmed
- 2017 Jan-Mars: Southern Indian ocean - to be confirmed
Support offered under this proposal: Transportation of cargo and personals, Food and Accommodation, Lab space and power supply, Communication, Operational and logistic supports, Basic data from meteorology, navigational and hydrographical observatories, Medical care
Travel and shipment costs for "Regional 3 Call":
• European funding will cover use of the vessels (with some berth limitation in some cases), full crew, fuel (at economical service speed, for details contact vessel operator), victuals and other standard operating costs. Travelling for the embarked team and transport of equipment will be covered up to a maximum amount designated to each research vessel.
• Grantees will not invoice the EUROFLEETS2 Consortium or respective vessel operator for any additional or third-party costs, such as salary costs, equipment manufacture, repair and rental of equipment, consumables, sub-contracting and assistance, publication costs and overheads
For more information please access the Guidelines for Applicants
Requirements for scientist:
Insurance; medical information sheet.
For the technical specifications please see the EurOcean European Research Vessels InfoBase at