23/05/2013 - 24/05/2013
Marine Institute, Oranmore, Galway
23 – 24 May 2013
The objective of this event is to provide a vision for enhanced cooperation on both sides of the Atlantic and a set of jointly agreed priority actions to provide the means to achieve these goals.
The Atlantic – A Shared Resource will focus on the Atlantic Strategy and associated Action Plan. Recognising the essential role of international partnership to achieve shared objectives and the potential of greater cooperation to advance our knowledge of the Atlantic Ocean, international partners are invited to contribute to tackling the challenges confronting the citizens of the North Atlantic coastal states.
Participants / Stakeholders
High Level Political representatives from the North Atlantic Coastal States and the European Commission will include:
- Mr Enda Kenny T.D., Taoiseach (Prime Minister of Ireland)
- Mr Simon Coveney T.D., the Irish Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- Ms Maria Damanaki, the EU Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Ms Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, the EU Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science
- Representatives from Canada
- Representatives from the EU Atlantic Coastal States
- Representatives from the United States of America
Leading Scientists, Representatives from Marine and Oceanographic Institutes, Funding Agencies, Research Performing Organisations and Industry.
This conference is organised jointly by:
• The Marine Institute (Ireland) on behalf of the Irish Presidency and
• The European Commission, the Directorate-General Research and Innovation in close cooperation with the Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries and the Joint Research Centre.
Download the The Atlantic – A Shared Resource Programme (PDF, 835.2 KB).
A live stream of Day 2 of the event will be available here from 8.30am, Friday 24th May.
Social Media Coverage:
- Follow live tweets on May 23rd and May 24th from @MarineInst (Marine Institute) and @eu2013ie (Irish EU Presidency)
- The hashtag for the event is #atlanticresearch
- A Twitter tab with a stream of the Marine Institute’s tweets is available on the Marine Institute’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/marineinstituteireland
- Further updates will be posted onto the Marine Institute’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/marineinstituteireland and the Marine Institute’s LinkedIn company page, http://www.linkedin.com/company/marine-institute throughout the event
Further details of the Atlantic Action Plan (2014-2020) will be outlined by Commissioner Damanaki at the Irish-EU Presidency Event “The Atlantic – A Shared Resource” in Galway on Friday 24th May.
Venue: Marine Institute, Oranmore, Galway